A Look at the Armature

A few people were curious so I thought I would put up some photos of the armature of the previous statue(Maminox).

So here is a look at how I plan my armatures. You’ll see immediately that it’s not a very finished drawing. It’s really meant for just body proportions and armature building.

If you look closely you’ll see that there are circle everywhere. That is where all the joints will be in the anatomy of the armature. This fella had wings so there are a lot of joints.

IMAG0884

So I used all that reference to make this:

IMAG0885

Now posed into what is nearly how he will be when the sculpt is finished.

IMAG0887

The armature consists of: 1/16″ and 1/8″ aluminum wire for the base, wire mesh for the wings, aluminum foil to bulk it out, and the yellow blobs are Milliput an epoxy putty.

IMAG0889

A small look at the sculpture with some of the armature still exposed.

I am going to try and add extra info like this for each of the sculptures I do. Feel free to tell me what you would like to know more about. Email is jay_surma@hotmail.com

If you are interested in ordering a statue of your own you can find out how here.

 

New Statue – Maminox

Let me introduce you to Maminox

IMAG0946

…the newest D&D character out of the shop. Maminox recently became epic level and was obviously deserving of his own statue.

I’d like to thank Corey Vissing for the freedom and wealth of history to work with on this guy. I had a lot of room to put my own input into the final design and it was a blast. I love nothing more than giving a character a final coherent look.

If you are interested in a statue of your own then you’re in luck. I’m taking orders.

Just visit the statue ordering page on the left or here: Statue Ordering

If you have questions also feel free to send an email to jay_surma@hotmail.com

IMAG0927

New Statue Finished

Meet Nichi Damu

IMAG0856

The first commission from my new project.

I had a friend approach me about potentially making a statue of their Dungeons and Dragons character. I was intrigued and have now launched a portion of the blog dedicated to taking orders for further commissions.

So now is your chance to get your own character immortalized in statue form.

How to get your own:

Simply click on the link on the left hand side of the page called Statue Commission.

Or if others are interested link them to https://jaysurma.wordpress.com/statue-commission/ or just share the page.

Once you’re there you can find out everything you need to order an original sculpture from me.

D20 final product. Interested?

I’ve finished the second d20! Now I’m looking for interest. I plan on maybe creating a kickstarter so that I can sell them. The kickstarter would allow an even more professional product. Prices to buy one would be cheaper and I could buy the right supplies to produce them quicker. Here are some very amateur pictures of the two final pieces.

How to make a D20 part 5. The finale

The final tutorial, time to paint. The first d20 is requested to be teal, with gold numbers. I begin by using an air brush to paint lots and lots of layers.

Then used a gold acrylic to paint in the numbers very very carefully. I could have masked off the numbers with tape to make it more precise, but that would have taken hours and left straight lines on curved numbers. Gold paint also requires 3-4 layers for a solid covering. Here is the numbers painted in.

Now that it is a lovely color time to make it shine. I used Acrylic lacquer spray paint. 4 coats later, the finished product!!! Drum roll please?

Nuff said.

Also side note, my work is not done on the second one.

How to make a D20 part 4. Yahtzee!

Continuing work on the D20 container. Taking a big longer than anticipated for a couple reasons. One being that I need two done at the same time.

So I pulled another cast and got underway with putting all the pieces in it.

I’m still a little more focused on finishing the first one, but here is them side by side.

Managed to work out how to put in the screws in an easier fashion. Just made a hole and used the dremel to slowly make the hole larger so they can sit flat on the rim. Also decided to wait to cut down the rim until all the fittings are done, reduces the amount of filler I get on the inside of the container. Half of filler working time is clean up, yuck.

I also ran into another interesting situation. The magnets attached well, but because they are flat and the lid is flat, it would shift a little bit while closed. So I used my genius cling film technique again and added a splotch of filler onto the screw part and closed the lid and kept it centered. When the filler cured and I opened it I now had a socket that the magnet nestles into comfortably. I have to tell you, all this has created one hell of a satisfying lid. Magnets are fun enough, but thanks to all the other tweaks I find myself just sitting there, opening and closing the thing for long durations of time. Eating away at valuable work time. Open… and close. Open…and close. Open… Anyway here’s a hard to photograph picture of the messy “socket”…and close.

IMAG0681

Okay, I need to get unhypnotized and get to work on the felt. Yes! The felt! That’s what I was doing.

Since I know I’m going to be gluing felt to the interior I needed to prepare it. Really smooth surfaces don’t glue well so I had to key the surface. I just gave it a bit of a sand and then used a scalpel to cross hatch the surface with scratches.

IMAG0686

I then added the felt! I decided to just cut a bunch of triangles up and slightly over lap them so it creates a slight icosahedron(yes I looked that up) effect on the inside as well. Here are the results:

Hurrah, only some very minor touches before it’s ready for painting. Oh, also I made a container with felt on the inside hence the Yahtzee joke. Oh my wit, you can’t handle it.

Open…and close.